Sunday, February 20, 2011

Art.

One thing that I love SO much and wish that I was naturally great at is art. I have always loved going to art galleries and looking at all of the beautiful pictures on the wall that so many talented people have drawn and one of my favorite things to do is try to imagine in my mind what objects could symbolize in the picture or what might have influenced the artist to draw it in the first place. Although I have only been to a couple art galleries in my life I often think back to the times that I went and I just feel so happy.

I am such a horrific drawer...I can't even draw a dog its that bad. I took an easy art class growing up and I had so much fun... but never became great at it. I can always see the images so vivid in my mind but can never put the image in my head on paper with my hands. But while I was nannying a while back I was upstairs with the baby and looking at an image hanging on their wall. I had noticed it plenty of times before and have always loved the colors and just the way that it looked... but for the first time ever I had noticed on the bottom right hand corner it had the name of the "artist" and it said Callum. Callum is the 4 year old boy that I was watching at the time and it was so surprising to me!! I never would have guessed that he had painted it. It was just a bunch of random lines and colors and TOTALLY something a child would paint but for some reason I had never looked at it that way before cause I thought it must had been a famous painter.. but it was in that moment that I realized that even though I'm not pro at drawing.. I don't have to be to make art. It gave me a whole new outlook! I looked up the definition of art and it said: "the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance." I really like that it uses the word EXPRESSION. We as people are all so different and express ourselves in different ways. Not that one is better than the other, but just that we are different. I guess it just helps me to realize that your art can look like this....



or like this....




And no matter how it turns out it will have its own style and beauty to it which will also reflect YOU. How cool is that.

3 comments:

DeeAnne said...

Okay... I'm getting out my paints!!!

Malia said...

I absolutely love this! I love to create so much, it's such a wonderful way of looking at it and it reminds me that the things I create don't have to be typical or expected or even anything other than what they are in order to be art. Thank you for reminding me.

Abbie Bluhm said...

DeeAnne: YES! You need to get them out you big artist :)

Malia: Thank you. I'm glad that you know how I feel. You're amazing and I love you to pieces! Go create something beautiful :)